Dr Arthur Gerard O’Malley
BA MB BCh BAO DCH MRCGP Dip Clin Supervision FRCPsych
Infant, Child and Adolescent
11, O-Levels (4As, 7Bs)
3A-Levels (1A, 2Bs)
Medicine B.A. M.B., B.Ch. B.A.O. June 1990
Staff Recognition awards 5 Boroughs Partnership NHS Trust for Risk and Resilience Project
Commendation award ASD Pathway
Partnership NHS Foundation Trust Combined complex cases clinic
- Beyond the Art of BART: Bilateral Affective Reprocessing of Thoughts as a dynamic model for thoughts across the lifespan. O'Malley AG, Int J Psychol Behav Anal 2016, 2: 118
- The impact of trauma on physical and mental health. Podcast with Trauma specialist Roland Bal. Available at: www.rolandbal.com July 2016
- The Art of Bilateral Affective Reprocessing of Thoughts: A Dynamic Model for Psychotherapy. 2015, published by Karnac Books (www.karnacbooks.com)
- Review of Allen, B. and Kronenberg, M. (eds.), 2014. Treating traumatized children: a casebook of evidence-based therapies. New York: Guilford Press. Available at:
- Review of: Wesselmann, D., Schweitzer, C., and Armstrong, S., 2014. Integrative team treatment for attachment trauma in children: family therapy and EMDR. New York: W.W. Norton. Available at: http://www.acamh.org/publications/book-reviews/integrative-team-treatment-attachment-trauma-children-family-therapy-and#sthash.aC4r3FU8.xgNRT0Ou.dpuf.
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and substance use. Chapter 10 of Cooper, David B., (ed) 2011. Practice in Mental Health-Substance Use. Ch 10. London: Radcliffe Publishing.
- NHS North West, 2011. Improving outcomes and ensuring quality: guide for commissioners and providers of perinatal and infant mental health services. (I was a member of the Expert Reference Group)
- Babies help boys reach new maturity. The Times Educational Supplement, 20 Jan 2009.
- Breaking the code article on traumatic stress in Drink and Drugs News , 26 Jan 2009
- Watch wait and wonder: an infant led approach to problems in infancy and early childhood, 2008. In: Parental Mental Health and Child Welfare Network, Beyond the smile: notes from a study day on perinatal mental health.
- Assessment of complex needs: needs and costs over one year. Child and Adolescent Mental Health, November 2005.
- The diagnosis and management of ADHD in young adults. (with A. Clark) A Progress in Neurology and Psychiatry, Sept/Oct 2003 7(5), 24-27.
- The labelling of dissent–politics and psychiatry behind the Great Wall. (with D. Lyons). Psychiatric Bulletin, December 2002, 26, 443-444.
- Research Report: Assessment of needs of children with severe and complex mental health problems, 2003 (with A. Clark and A. Woodham). Funded by Manchester Health Authority.
- The Changing Relationship between General Practitioners and Psychiatrists. Forum: Journal of Irish College of General Practioners, December 1990.
- Prescription use in CAMHS teams in the 5 Boroughs Partnership, Department of Pharmacy Hollins Park; 2007, repeated in 2009 and 2011.
- Use of an assessment template in specialist CAMHS incorporating CORC approved outcome measures. Training in and audit of HoNOSCA in specialist CAMHS.
- Evaluation of online training in child and adolescent focused EMDR
Since July 2016 I have been self employed seeing patients for trauma informed psychotherapy while also pursuing quantitative and qualitative research into the Art of BART. This is with a view to applying for approval for this therapeutic model to the United Nations and the World Health Organization.
My first trainee Wemi Agboaye has completed her research thesis on the effectiveness of psychotherapy in CAMHS. My approach has proved especially useful for children and adolescents with autism spectrum conditions. The MASCOT technology I have developed enables delivery of a neurobiologically informed psychotherapeutic model which takes account of the mono channel sensory processing of individual cranial nerves that tends to occur in patients with core autism aspergers dyslexia complex PTSD and dissociative disorders. Wemi will have an oral on her PhD with Dr Derek Farrell from the University of Worcester in due course.
- Locum CAMHS Psychiatrist Andrew Lang Unit Viewfield Lane Selkirk 2/11/15-27/06/16.
- Locum CAMHS Consultant Wyre Forest CAMHS Kidderminster Health Centre Bromsgrove St., Kidderminster, Worcestershire. DY10 1PG. March 2014-May 2014.
- Locum CAMHS Consultant, Child and adolescent unit, Noble’s Hospital Douglas Isle of Man 1/06/14- 7/06/14. & 16/06/14-30/07/14 & 11/08/14-19/08/14, 15/09/14-2/10/14, 1-13/12/14.
- Locum CAMHS Consultant Child and Family Team Gransha Derry 31/7/14-8/8/14 & 20/08/14-29/08/14.
- Locum CAMHS Consultant Fairfield Centre Barrow-in-Furness from 6/10/14 to 31/03/15. Evergreen House
- Locum CAMHS Consultant Victoria Park Road Exeter Devon EX2 4NU 01/05/2015-15/06/2015.
Substantive consultant (NHS), 5 Boroughs Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
- I was appointed as a locum consultant in specialist CAMHS on 2 August 2004 and was employed as a substantive consultant from 25 Oct 2004 until 20 January 2014.
- During this period I was invited to a secondment to Halton specialist CAMHS. My role included developing perinatal and infant mental health services.
- In Feb 2011 I was seconded to work in an 8-bed in-patient unit based in Warrington.
- I also ran a weekly traumatic stress clinic for patients referred to Halton CAMHS.
Specialist Registrar in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry for the North Western Deanery: (Eastern Division) July 2000-Feb 2004 comprising:
- RMCH CAMHS team with Professor Harrington 8/04/03-20/02/04
- Adolescent Psychiatry Unit Inpatient team and Outreach Service 3/9/02-7/04/03
- Royal Bolton Hospital CAMHS team 12/12/01-31/08/02
- Tameside General Hospital comprising Springhill Child and Family Consultation Service and Staveleigh Clinic, Stalybridge 31/07/00-12/06/01
Eastern Health Board Training Scheme in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry July 1997-June 2000 comprising:
- Child Psychiatry St James Hospital (Jul 1997 – Dec 1998)
- Beech Park Special school for autism (2 sessions per week Jul -Dec 1998)
- Child Psychiatry Castleknock (Jan 1999- Dec 1999)
- Courthall Residential Unit Mulhuddart Co. Dublin (Jan 2000-Jun 2000)
- Locum Consultant Child Psychiatrist Portlaoise General Hospital July 2000
Dublin University Training Scheme in Adult Psychiatry: July 1994-June 1997
Dublin Regional Vocational Training Scheme in General Practice, July 1991–June 1994
Internship Meath and Adelaide Hospitals, Dublin, July 1990–June 1991
Examinations and accreditations
- DCH, 1993
- MRCGP, 1994
- MRCPsych, 1999
- EMDR Accreditation as Practitioner May 2007
- EMDR Accreditation as Consultant, Jan 2008–2018
- Level 1 training in sensorimotor psychotherapy, 2008-2009
- Diploma in Clinical Supervision 15 Credits John Moores University June 2007
- Elected to Fellowship of Royal College of Psychiatrists Jan 2011 (FRCPsych). This nomination was for my work in the area of trauma focused psychotherapy and parental and infant mental health.
- Attended Royal College of Psychiatrists Section 12 Refresher and Approved Clinicians course on 7 and 8 May 2014 and approved under Section 12 of the Mental Health Act 1983 (as amended in 2007) and as an approved clinician from 9 Sept 2014 until 8 Sept 2019
Trinity College, Dublin
University of Manchester
Barrow in Furness CAMHS
Buile Hill High School Salford
Stockport Youth Offending Team
Knowsley Northern Primary Support Service
St Helens Merseyside (January 2014)
Conference Presentations (since 2005)
I have attended hundreds of specialist medical conferences over the years. I list here some of those at which I have been invited to present.
- ‘The neurobiology of PTSD and a putative mechanism of action of EMDR’.
Alder Hey Hospital, Liverpool (February 2005) and Cheadle Royal Hospital (January 2006)
- ‘The effect of neglect on the developing brain’. Moving minds annual specialist training day for trauma therapists (May 2007)
- ‘Two cases of therapeutic approaches to extreme trauma’. 8th European EMDR Conference, Paris (June 2007)
- ‘Perinatal and infant mental health’. Beyond the Smile: a study day on perinatal mental at Health King’s Church Conference Centre Manchester (March 2008)
- ‘Motor and sensory integration using EMDR: a new therapeutic paradigm’. Workshop hosted by the Yorkshire EMDR branch (October 2008)
- ‘Introduction to the aetiology of personality disorders’ (keynote address) at inaugural study day on Personality Disorders, Leeds, chaired by Prof. Eddie Kane, (March 2009)
- ‘Emotional dysregulation in ADHD’. Study day on ADHD, Manchester (Nov 2009)
- ‘Clinical Neuroscience and child psychotherapy: ideal partners or reluctant bedfellows?’ Conference of the North West Regional Psychotherapy Association, Manchester (April 2010)
- ‘BART psychotherapy: a dynamic new model for resolution of psychological trauma’. International Society for the Study of Trauma and Dissociation, Montreal, Canada (November, 2011)
- Medical Records Workshop MPS Manchester 18 Oct 2012
- Mastering Shared decision making MPS Manchester 6 Sep 2013
- Section 12 and Approved Clinician course Royal College of Psychiatrists London 7-8 May 2014
- Somatic symptoms of depression 8 Oct 2014
- Managing the complexities of children and adolescents with ADHD Bury 13 Nov 2014
- Presentation to doctors and medical students Furness General Hospital Barrow Cumbria Feb 2015
- Trust induction course 7-9 Jan 2015:
- Prevention and Management of Violence and aggression Level 2 (8 hours)
- Information Governance
- Introduction to infection prevention and hand hygiene
- Local fire safety
- Introduction to IT e-health
- Service users’ and carers’ Customer Experience
- Human Resources, Quality and Governance
- Basic and Advanced life support using automatic external defibrillator
- Management of Paracetamol toxicity 19 Feb 2015
- Improving communication skills for better outcomes 19 Feb 2015
- Case based discussion with consultant colleagues at the Fairfield Centre Feb 2015
- Video conference Dr Bessel van der Kolk on his new book,” The body keeps the score” March 2015
- Annual conference of the UK and Ireland EMDR association Grand Hotel Brighton 19-20 March 2015
- 1-day workshop: The Art of EMDR Supervision & Accreditation Update Mechanics institute Manchester 6 June 2015.
- Equality diversity and Human rights 18 June 2015-17 June 2018
- Distance training 4 hours 18 June-17 June 2018
- Safeguarding adults Level 2 18 June 2015-17 June 2018
- Safeguarding Children Level 3 18 June 2015-17 June 2018
- Presentation on trauma focused psychotherapy to practitioners Chorley 29 June 2015
- ‘The Art of BART: a pilot of BART psychotherapy for an inpatient with anorexia nervosa’. TEDS conference, Liverpool. July 2015.
- Treating PTSD during Dialectical Behaviour Therapy with high-risk borderline personality disorder Clients Cambridge, England 6-7 July 2015.
- Integrating EMDR for Tailoring Trauma Therapy to meet the needs of Patients with Complex PTSD Dr Martin Sacks West Midlands Regional EMDR support group 11 Sept 20115
- Introduction to Brainspotting Liz Doggert Birmingham 19 Sept 2015.
- Child and Adolescent EMDR training Part 2 London Dec 2015
- Talk to Journal Club in Borders General Hospital on Behavioural Phenotype of PDA Jan 2016
- Talk to Wilton Resource Centre on management of Pathological Demand Avoidance Feb 2016
- Impact of Trauma and Neglect on the Developing Brain Andrew Lang Unit 22 Feb 2016
- Update on new psychoactive substances Newstead Board room 26 Feb 2016
- Watch Wait and Wonder: a psychodynamic dyadic intervention for insecure attachment Annual Health Visitors CPD day Borders General Hospital 10 March 2016
- Borders Autism Team Network meeting 7 April 2016
- MindEd e-learning modules 16 April 2016
- NICE PTSD update workshop May 2016 London
- Podcast Effect of early life experiences on physical and mental health www.rolandbal.com
- Child Psychology 6-7 Oct 2016 The Art of BART workshop Hilton Hotel London
- ACAMH Association of Child and Adolescent Mental Health
- EMDR association of UK and Ireland
- Child and Adolescent Committee of UK and Ireland EMDR association
- BMA British Medical Association
- GMC General Medical Council
I am a member of the following professional discussion networks:
- UK and Ireland EMDR association jiscmail
- EMDRIA worldwide listserv email
- Parental Mental Health and Child Welfare Network
- Positive Psychology and EMDR
Since 2005 I have represented the 5 Boroughs Partnership Trust on first the Cheshire and Mersey perinatal pathway group followed by the North West Regional Perinatal and infant mental health Steering Group. Together with my colleague Dr Pollet, I have attended a task and finish group to establish a perinatal pathway across the Trust footprint. Recently I was invited to become a member of the Steering Group and Expert Reference Group for NHS Northwest’s Perinatal and Infant mental Health Project. The commissioning report was published in April 2011.
Consultant Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist
CAMHS Noble’s Hospital
Isle of Man
John Monroe Hospital
Horton Road Rudyard