A Dynamic Model for Psychotherapy
- Intensive treatment for mental health disorders
- Optimised performance in your field of study, business or sport
- Quintessential model of brain
- Model of hyperarousal, hypoarousal and Window of Tolerance explained using the acronyms RAPIDS, CALM WATERS and FROZEN
Holmed Clinic 70 Whitehurst Road
665 Burnage Lane Heaton Mersey
M19 1RR SK4 3NZ
Dr Art O’Malley
BA, MB, BCh, BAO, DCH, MRCGP, Dip Clin Supervision, FRCPsych
Dr O’Malley has practised as a doctor since 1990 and as a Consultant Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist from 2004 until 2014 for the NHS. As an EMDR Europe Consultant, accredited from 2008-2018, he sees patients with complex trauma across the life span.
He has presented widely in the fields of trauma, neglect and the developing brain, Attachment Disorders, Personality Disorders, Emotional Dysregulation ADHD and ASD Diagnosis and Management.
He supervises therapists towards accreditation as both Practitioners and Consultants in EMDR.
In January 2011, he was elected to the Fellowship of The Royal College of Psychiatrists. Having written a book, he continues to publish articles in support of this therapeutic approach.
Stimulation integrates sensory information from the gut to the heart to the brain
The awareness of the emotion and the sensorimotor experiences is key to resolving traumatic experiences
Both a bottom up and top down approach to reprocessing is essential to overcome speechless terror and enable cognitive evaluation of all adverse events
Accessing thoughts in the prefrontal cortex (at the end of the session) creates breathing space for verification, reappraisal and reintegration of adverse events. The development of meaning
About the Therapy
- BART Psychotherapy is novel therapeutic approach developed over the last eight years by Dr Art O’Malley.
- During this time it has been used in Traumatic Stress Clinics in both Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services and Parental and Infant Mental Health Services (based in an adult inpatient ward in a district general hospital).
- Dr O’Malley has completed specialist training in the Principles of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Systematic Family Therapy and Psychodynamic Therapy.
- As a Consultant in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry he underwent further training in Trauma-Focussed therapeutic approaches. These include EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing), Sensorimotor Psychotherapy and Mindfulness.
- Through his passion in helping patients overcome traumatic experiences and reach peak performance, Dr O’Malley has created a therapy that combines elements from therapies including EMDR and Sensorimotor Psychotherapy. The result is BART Psychotherapy.
- This dynamic model for psychotherapy is driven by the development of the patient-clinician rapport and seeks to reprocess negative experiences ad traumatic events
- Treatment involves an initial assessment of the patient’s past history along with a chronology of any relevant traumatic or psychiatric history.
- Following an explanation of BART Therapy, treatment can commence immediately, through face-to-face consultation or, if the patient prefers, online (via video links such as Skype).